Monday, April 9, 2007

We all have to start somewhere.

But at least I am not starting from nothing.

Right before this term began I was in New Orleans for spring break, and volunteered at a food bank all week. I was one of the Drexel students that was privileged to participate in an Alternative Spring Break trip for Katrina relief, coordinated by the National Service Fraternity at Drexel, Alpha Phi Omega. In New Orleans, we volunteered at Just the Right Attitude food bank.

Debra W. South, Executive Director, herself was in need but always got by with the help of her family and friends. With these friends, the food bank was created with the motto, “You can overcome any obstacle with just the right attitude,” motivating them with their start in 1999. Debra herself was forced to start her life again in her mid-forties.

As we were putting cans in bags, it allowed us a chance to talk. Debra had to buy new forks. She does not have her dishes, or any of her possesions other than those she took with her before the flood. With so many close calls in the past, she just thought she swould be back in a few days. A little less than two years later, houses are still mold infested and wind damaged. From so many of the employees, we heard horror stories of contractors not showing up and businesses taking advantage of the situation. I saw Wal-Marts and Burger Kings deserted by the multi-million dollar companies just because insurance prices have risen. Many New Orleans natives similarly did not return, as with the history of Katrina, insurance prices have risen. Debra used to pay $1000 a year for her house insurance, and now it would be $3000 for her house. Crazy.

With the 9 daily volunteers all affected themselves by Katrina, JTRA is able to serve a hot breakfast, lunch, and bag groceries to last a week. The 14 from the university assisted the devoted daily volunteers in unloading boxes of food from an 18-wheeler truck, bagging overflowing weekly grocery bags, and serving a hot breakfast and lunch to those who are in need.

The diverse group included 5 APO fraternity brothers, a student from India and one from Nigeria, and a selection from all majors, as well as backgrounds, joined together to devote their week to helping the permanent volunteers. I met the sickest people. Being surronded by freshman in the majority of my classes, I loved meeting different people and working with more of a variety of ages.

All the people, from Drexel and from the food bank, were refreshing to after my exhausting winter term. The cold winter and finals tired me out, and I definetly spent my spring break well. And here comes spring term... and I am starting off with a great experience beind me, and nothing holding me back.

Peace out.

Tamar

0 comments: