Tuesday, April 1, 2008

60 second biography.

I am in Multimedia: Performance this term. My professor is so great. I already know I am going to love her. The class also relates more than what I thought to what I want to do. I thought it as going to be drama based- but it is design. Yes. For the second class of week 1, she wants us all to inroduce oyrselves with a 60 seond bio. I drafted and read it to be 2 seconds over a minute, but she doesn't wear a watch. I noticed that on the first day...

I will start with my name- one of the first things given to anyone when they are born, other than a quick shower and a clean blanket. And my name defines me pretty well. Tamar Sorkin Ingber. Tamar is the Hebrew word for date, the fruit of a palm tree. My parents wanted me to grow tall like a palm, and I am the tallest of my three sisters. Sorkin is the maiden name of one of my great grandmothers and became extinct when she was married off. And Ingber, like you all know, translates to mean Ginger in Polish, and may also turn out to only be a maiden name if and when all four girls get married.
The story of these definitions runs deeper than my love for sushi, wasabi, and a little “Ingber” on top. My family origins are in the spice route in the East Indies, then Poland to give for the translation, and finally my parent’s birthplace of Canada.
I was lucky and did actually enjoy growing up in Ohio, my parents’ relocation for my father to become a Rabbi. No, I did not grow up in a fishbowl like most clergy families. My dad still is a college Rabbi, so I grew up on a college campus, with college kids, and wondered why students drank their grape juice so fast at Shabbat dinners. Who knew they had wine, gross, until I was in high school.

...The class is 4-d design. So 3-d design over time. The fourth dimension is not typically applied in courses, but how will your designs stand the test of time is vital. I fee like things clicked right before spring term began. My classes are going to be tough, but I am excited for them still. Pretty good sign, eh?

0 comments: